Weight gain is inevitable throughout our lives, whether it be through pregnancy, hobbies such as bodybuilding, or lifestyle choices. Depending on how quickly the weight was gained, stretch marks can be the endless reminder of the extra weight. Getting stretch marks can be devastating to self-esteem, and can even lead to anxiety, or a low self-image.
Stretch Mark Prevention
The best way to prevent stretch marks is by heavily moisturizing the area as it is stretching, or the weight is being gained. Stretch marks are caused by the failure of elasticity of the upper layer of skin, or the epidermis, as it is stretched to its fullest extent. You can improve the elasticity of your skin by also drinking more water and increasing your vitamin intake in healthy foods and multi-vitamins. If you are beginning to notice signs of stretch marks, there are several products that can effectively moisturize the areas where people typically gain a lot of weight within a short time span, such as the stomach, breasts, buttocks, arms, and thighs.
Products that can prevent stretch marks:
- Body creams
- Body butters
- “Double” or “Triple” Moisturizing creams
- Body oils
However, most are not lucky enough to prevent stretch marks before they can occur. Treating them can be done through a combination of methods, including lifestyle changes, such as a change of diet, while in combination with products and treatments that can improve the appearance of stretch marks. Time is of the essence when treating them, and treating them as soon as you notice them will improve chances of treating them effectively.
Stretch Mark Removal Products
- Body Gel with onion extract and hyaluronic acid
- Stretch mark removal cream
- Cellulite cream
- Body Oil
- Chemical peel
- Aloe Vera
Stretch Mark Removal Treatments
- Retinoid by dermatologist prescription
- Laser treatment
- Surgical stretch mark removal
- Blue light therapy
Life-Style Changes to Remove Stretch Marks
- Change of diet to increase proteins, Vitamin C & E, and minerals such as zinc.
- Avoidance of all saturated fats
- Increase in exercise
- Increased water consumption
- Apricot mask
- Potato juice
- Lemon juice
- Egg whites
Any combination of these methods can help to decrease the appearance of stretch marks, or remove them completely. There is a simple, 10-step method to apply these treatments to getting rid of your stretch marks. These are measured in small, chronological steps that when combined can reduce the appearance or remove stretch marks completely. If you notice that your stretch marks are not visible before the steps are completed, there is no need to continue with the treatment options, and you can continue regular prevention by practicing a healthy diet for improved skin elasticity, while actively moisturizing the skin.
10 Steps to Remove Your Stretch Marks
1. Improve your diet
Increase fruits, vegetables, nuts, and eggs in your diet. This will make a health diet rich in protein, vitamin C&E, and minerals such as Zinc.
2. Take a Multi-Vitamin
Increasing your vitamin intake will improve the health of your skin.
3. Drink more water
Drinking more water can improve complexion, and hydrate the skin. Drinking even one more glass per day can help increase the elasticity of skin.
4. Remove fatty foods from your diet
Saturated fats and other fatty foods will cause you to gain weight quickly, which will cause stretch marks. Avoiding these foods will reduce the chances of continuing to get stretch marks, and also improve the health of your body and skin.
Exercising not only improves the health of your body, it also stimulates the production of hormones that can make your skin healthier.
6. Try natural remedies if you are wary of chemicals, or cost-sensitive.
- Apricot mask: Crushing apricots into a paste and applying the paste with added water to the area of stretch marks can reduce the appearance.
- Potato juice, lemon juice, and egg whites are all seen as effective.
7. At-home Treatments
- Applying a body gel containing onion extract and hyaluronic acid has been proven by dermatologists to be very effective in the removal of stretch marks.
- Using cellulite or stretch mark removal creams can be helpful in the treatment of stretch marks. Review brands and ingredients when shopping for cellulite and stretch mark removal creams. Creams with Aloe Vera appear to be more effective.
- Microdermabrasion and chemical peels can be efficient in the treatment at home. It is important to remember that these are not daily rituals, and should not be repeated often, because of potential damage to the skin.
- Some body oils are specialized in the treatment of stretch marks. Reviewing product descriptions and reviews of body oils can help you find which may be right for your skin type and severity.
8. Consult a dermatologist
If at-home remedies and products are not effective, Dermatologists can help to develop a care plan to reduce your stretch marks. Dermatologists can also write prescriptions for products that may not already be available to you, such as Retinoid, which is very effective in the treatment.
9. Laser treatments and blue light therapy
After you have consulted a dermatologist, and if you are still seeing stretch marks, you may consider doing laser removal or blue light therapy provided by a skin care treatment specialist, or an Esthetician. These treatments are very effective and are meant to remove them completely, although can be costly, so it is recommended to try the many other treatment options prior to these skin care treatments.
10. Surgical Removal of Stretch Marks
Surgical removal of stretch marks may be the only effective treatment for severe cases. Surgical removal of stretch marks is typically done on the stomach, or a “tummy tuck.” This surgery is costly, and is not considered medically necessary, which is why it is not recommended as a first-line treatment. This would not be necessary unless having a severe case.
There are many solutions to getting rid of stretch marks, ranging from simple lifestyle changes to expensive surgeries. By following these steps in chronological order, you will ultimately find that your stretch marks have either greatly diminished, or are no longer visible. You can make the least invasive treatment decisions for getting rid of your stretch marks, by following these ten steps in sequential order, and you will be on your way to feeling confident in your skin.